Some people may be interested in a job or career in sustainability for different reasons.
In this guide, we list the sectors and industries where you might be able to find jobs related to sustainability, with specific examples of each.
How To Find A Job Or Career In Sustainability
There’s several ways you can find a job or career in sustainability, with some of the most common being:
– A job/career search website
– Search for, and research companies that place a focus on sustainability online. Contact them directly and ask whether there are will be any employment opportunities opening up in the future. Sometimes these companies post job opportunities on social media too
– The company you are working for right now might have sustainability initiatives and policies they are working on. You might like to ask them how you can get involved in them as an existing employee
– You may also decide to become self employed and start your own sustainability based projects, or business
Examples Of Jobs & Careers In Sustainability, & The Sectors & Industries They Are In
The reality is that there are many sectors and industries where you can obtain a job or career in sustainability.
Just a few major examples might include, but aren’t limited to:
– Designing renewable energy or alternate energy systems, technology and infrastructure
– Constructing, and repairing renewable energy or alternate energy systems, technology and infrastructure
– Working on technology and systems that contribute to improvements in energy efficiency
– Producing products, services and systems for consumers that are more energy efficient
– Designing alternative fuel vehicles, systems, technology and infrastructure
– Constructing, and repairing alternate fuel vehicles, systems, technology and infrastructure
– Working on technology and systems that contribute to improvements in vehicles and fuel efficiency
– Working on implementing more effective public transport and alternate forms of transport other than passenger vehicles, trucks, etc.
– Working on farms, ranches and agricultural operations to have sustainable agricultural practices
– Working on improving key issues like efficiency of irrigated water use, use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, etc.
– Specific examples might be working on a farm with organic farming taking place
– Designing more effective and sustainable waste management systems, facilities, and equipment
– Being involved in designing cities to have more waste disposal points available
Freshwater Resource Management
– Working at the government level to sustainably manage freshwater supplies
– Working at the company level to sustainably manage freshwater use and waste water treatment
– Producing products for consumers that are more water efficient
Other Industries, Sectors & Examples
– Produce general sustainability related research and media for people to read
– Working on minimizing water pollution
– Working on minimizing air pollution
– Working on minimizing general waste pollution
– Working on managing resources to prevent resource depletion
– Working on cleaning up ocean pollution, and addressing other issues impacting the ocean
Entry Level Jobs In Sustainability
Entry level jobs may involve graduate jobs, or trainee type jobs where the company offers internal on-the-job training for the position.
Some sustainable companies may also offer manual or physical labor jobs that don’t require previous experience or skills, and this can be a typ of entry level job too.
Salary Of Jobs In Sustainability
The salary or financial remuneration for a job in sustainability depends completely on the individual job or career position being offered.
Like other positions, it depends on variables like demand, supply, work conditions, level of skill, expertise and experience required, expectations of performance, and so on.